Ccourtesy: saharareporters
ANigerian man, Augustine Okechuku Maazi, has appeared before Accra Circuit Court 8 in Ghana over an alleged plot to rob three banks in the Labone area of Accra.
Maazi was arrested on Thursday, August 13, 2026, after Ghanaian police reportedly foiled the alleged robbery operation. Two other suspects were reportedly killed in a shootout with police, while another suspect escaped.
The development comes amid growing questions over the circumstances surrounding the incident, following a denial by GCB Bank that any robbery or attempted robbery took place at its Labone branch.
The Ghana Police Service had said it received intelligence at about 10:45 a.m. on August 13 that a gang was preparing to attack GCB Bank, Ecobank and Zenith Bank, all located in the Labone area.
According to the police, officers deployed to the area spotted suspected members of the gang in vehicles parked near the banks.
“Upon sighting the police, one of the vehicles sped off in an attempt to escape,” the police said.
Officers reportedly pursued the vehicle and arrested Maazi, while another occupant escaped.
The police said occupants of a second vehicle also attempted to flee while firing at officers, leading to a shootout.
“The police engaged them in a shoot-out resulting in the death of two suspects,” the Service said.
The police said two vehicles were recovered from the suspects, a Toyota Highlander with registration number GS-1434-18 and a Hyundai Tucson with registration number GS 7915-17. A blow pistol was also reportedly recovered.
However, GCB Bank subsequently denied that its Labone branch was attacked or targeted in an attempted robbery.
“GCB Bank wishes to clarify that no robbery or attempted robbery took place at our Labone Branch or on the Bank’s premises,” the bank said.
The bank added: “At no point was the branch breached, and no customer, member of staff, funds or property of the Bank was affected.”
The conflicting accounts have raised questions about the precise nature of the incident and whether the suspects were actually preparing to rob the banks as alleged by the police.
Further questions emerged after checks by SaharaReporters found that the Toyota Highlander bearing registration number GS 1434 18, which police identified as one of the vehicles recovered from the suspects, had been listed by Ghanaian authorities as having been impounded in 2019.
The apparent reuse of the same registration number has raised questions about the vehicle’s history and the police account of the incident.
The controversy also prompted the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana to intervene. The President of All Nigerian Communities in Ghana was reportedly sent to Ghana Police Headquarters to seek clarification over the circumstances surrounding Maazi’s arrest and the deaths of the two other suspects.
Destiny Austine Omon, media coordinator of the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana, also questioned aspects of the police account, including the location of the alleged robbery, the weapon reportedly recovered and the vehicles allegedly used by the suspects.
“The environment where the robbery took place is one of the safest environments in Ghana. It is close to 37 Military Base, the Ghanian Presidency, police headquarters and cantonment,” Omon told SaharaReporters.
He added: “It does not add up for armed robbers wanting to do that scale of attack to be arrested with only a pistol.”
The Ghana Police Service has maintained that its officers foiled a planned attack on the three banks, while investigations continue to establish the identities and roles of the two deceased suspects, trace the escaped suspect and determine the circumstances surrounding the alleged robbery plot.





