First Batch of 100 US Troops Arrives in Nigeria for Counter-Terrorism Support


The first 100 United States military personnel have arrived in northeastern Nigeria, marking a new phase in the country’s fight against terrorism.
The deployment is part of a planned 200-member U.S. mission aimed at strengthening Nigeria’s counter-insurgency operations through intelligence sharing, tactical training, and strategic advisory support. The initiative comes as Nigerian security forces intensify operations in some of the country’s most volatile regions.
Reports indicate that a U.S. military aircraft landed in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, on Thursday night. By Friday evening, three aircraft were sighted at the airbase, with equipment being offloaded from at least one of them.
Officials from both countries confirmed that about 100 American personnel would arrive in the first phase, while additional troops and equipment are expected over the weekend and in the coming weeks.
A U.S. Department of Defense official, who spoke to The New York Times on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of operational details, said the mission would involve a steady flow of C-17 transport aircraft into three key locations across Nigeria. The official described the current arrivals as the “vanguard” of a broader mission focused on intelligence sharing, advisory services, and training.
Nigeria’s Minister of Defence, Christopher Musa, emphasised that the American personnel would not participate directly in combat operations.
“These personnel will not serve in a combat capacity and will not assume any direct operational role. Nigerian forces retain full command authority, make all operational decisions, and will lead all missions on Nigerian sovereign territory,” Musa said.
Similarly, Nigeria’s defence spokesman, Samaila Ubah, stated that the deployment followed recommendations from a U.S.–Nigeria joint working group. He explained that the American troops would provide advisory and technical support at multiple locations.
The U.S. Defense Department official also confirmed that American personnel would operate mainly from command posts rather than engaging on the frontlines.
Security analysts say the joint operations will cover some of Nigeria’s most volatile areas. A Nigerian official familiar with the arrangement disclosed that the personnel would be deployed to northern states where extremist groups such as Boko Haram have been active, as well as parts of the Middle Belt, a region that has experienced recurring violence affecting both Christian and Muslim communities.
The deployment follows months of diplomatic pressure from former U.S. President Donald Trump, who had publicly criticised the Nigerian government’s handling of security challenges, particularly attacks on Christian communities. However, violence has affected both Christian and Muslim populations in different parts of the country.
Late last year, Trump reportedly ordered a U.S. missile strike in Nigeria on Christmas Day, targeting what he described as terrorists responsible for killings. The action drew international attention and sparked debate over the extent of U.S. involvement in Nigeria’s internal security affairs.
According to The New York Times, the new deployment will reinforce a smaller group of American advisers already stationed in Nigeria. The Federal Government said those advisers have been assisting Nigerian security forces with tactical warfare training, including map reading, operational planning, strike coordination, and rescue missions.
Both governments maintain that the partnership is designed to strengthen Nigeria’s capacity to combat insurgency and armed militancy while preserving the country’s sovereignty and operational control over all missions conducted within its territory.
Efforts to obtain confirmation from the Defence Headquarters were unsuccessful as of the time this report was filed.

  • Keji Mustapha

    Related Posts

    Defence Minister, Ambassador Are Deepen Nigeria–US Security Partnership in Washington

    Nigeria’s Minister Nigeria’s Minister of Defence, General Christopher Gwabin Musa (Rtd), has held high-level talks with Nigeria’s Ambassador to the United States, Ambassador Kayode Are, in Washington, D.C., as part…

    Army Commander Leads Peace Efforts in Plateau Communities

    W.M Dangana asks warring Plateau communities to sheathe swords   The General Officer Commanding (GOC) 3 Division of the Nigerian Army and Commander of Operation ENDURING PEACE, Major General W.…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Defence Minister, Ambassador Are Deepen Nigeria–US Security Partnership in Washington

    Defence Minister, Ambassador Are Deepen Nigeria–US Security Partnership in Washington

    Army Commander Leads Peace Efforts in Plateau Communities

    Army Commander Leads Peace Efforts in Plateau Communities

    Over 4,000 Abandoned Mining Pits Identified in Plateau — Alake

    Over 4,000 Abandoned Mining Pits Identified in Plateau — Alake

    People’s Security Monitor Opens Nominations for Best-Performing Security Chiefs Across Six Geopolitical Zones

    People’s Security Monitor Opens Nominations for Best-Performing Security Chiefs Across Six Geopolitical Zones

    psm

    RIGHT OF REPLY: Why Nigerians Should Remain Confident in Election Security Ahead of the 2027 General Elections

    RIGHT OF REPLY: Why Nigerians Should Remain Confident in Election Security Ahead of the 2027 General Elections